Windows are essential for a house, and it is given a lot of time and thought just like any other element of the house. They allow the natural light to enter the house and act like a natural air circulation system. Windows in big cities allow you to look around your neighborhood and your city at the comfort of your own house.
It is also a way to exit the house in case of fire accidents. They also act as a significant decorative piece of the house around which other matching decorative items are placed. A window in the room makes the room lively and full of colors.
But it is not always butterflying, and you might be stuck in a situation where your bedroom is devoid of a window. This could be because-
- You purchase an apartment or a house that has a bedroom without a window.
- You have converted an idle space of the house that was not much of use into a bedroom for accommodating guests or an extra member of the family.
Let us look at some pros and cons of a bedroom without windows.
There are not as many pros of a bedroom without windows as there are cons, and you should always try to install a window in a bedroom without windows if you can.
If you are going to purchase or rent a house and find that it lacks windows, you can ask the owner for a discount, and you will also get one quickly.
Not Suitable for You If You Are Claustrophobic
If you are claustrophobic and cannot stand packed environments, you should not buy or rent a house with bedrooms without windows.
Lack of Natural Light
Lack of windows also means that you will be devoid of natural light. Natural light is essential for a healthy life, so a bedroom without windows could affect your health.
If you are looking to purchase or rent out your own house with the same kind of bedroom, expect a lesser offer than expected.
So, a bedroom without windows is not an ideal bedroom. There is no guarantee whether you can call it a bedroom or not, legally.
Yes, you heard that right there exists a legal definition of a bedroom, and your bedroom must fit into this definition to be called a bedroom in the eyes of the municipality.
Can A Room Without Windows Be A Bedroom Legally?
To be called a legal bedroom, a room must adhere to the International Residential Code guidelines, and none of these guidelines talk about the room having a bed. So, you cannot just call your room a bedroom if you have installed a bed inside it.
These guidelines should be followed by houses worldwide, and apart from these guidelines, there also many state guidelines determining the attributes of an ideal bedroom.
The bedroom, for starters, should have adequate space to classify itself as a bedroom. While there are no upper limits of how much the floor area should be (as there is no limit to desires), there is a minimum limit to the floor area, 70 square feet.
One dimension (either the length or the width) of the room should be at least seven feet. There is also a minimum limit for the bedroom’s height so that people with height do not face any difficulty in the room. The minimum height of a bedroom should be at least 7 feet from the floor.
Your bedroom must have a temperature control system with the source of heat inside the bedroom itself. For cooling purposes, an AC is used, but it is not a compulsion as the window itself circulates the air and brings in the cool air.
Means of Egress
Means of egress refers to the way of getting outside the house in case of an accident. The International Residential Code suggests that a bedroom must consist of at least two means of egress so that you do not find any difficulty while escaping the room in case of emergency. Among the two means of egress, a window should be one.
A window that is to be used as means of egress should be at least 44 inches above the floor (the bottom of the window cannot be 44 inches from the wall) so that it is not difficult for your kids or older adults to escape the house. The window’s opening area should be at least 5.7 square feet so that neither you nor the firefighters face any difficulty while passing through it.
The glass area of the window must be at least 8% of the bedroom’s total floor area so that an adequate amount of natural light is allowed into the house. And the opening area of the window should be at least 4% of the floor area so that the room’s ventilation remains proper and it does not become claustrophobic.
These are some of the requirements that a room needs to qualify to be called a bedroom legally. But these requirements are put out by the IRC, and there are many guidelines for a room to be called a bedroom put out by the state authorities of different states, and you need to follow your state’s guidelines.
Decorative Ideas for Bedrooms Without Windows
Well enough of these guidelines. Though you cannot call a room without windows a bedroom legally, no one can stop you from using it as one. Also, what to do if you were sold a house with no bedrooms in the window, or what if you converted a place in your house into a bedroom and could not find a window.
Although you cannot call them a bedroom, if you are using it as one, you will need to pay attention to its decor so that the absence of a window is not intimidating anymore.
Here are some decorative ideas and tips in case you have a bedroom without windows. These tips will help you make your bedroom livelier and comforting, and the chances are that you will not realize the absence of a window in the room.
Use Proper Lighting
With the natural light source being absent, you will have to go the extra mile to make sure that the room is well lighted up. This is because the well-lighted room will feel less claustrophobic, and you will also have light like there is in a regular room. Try to include a table lamp or two as a must and pair it up with the well-distributed ceiling lights that can light up the whole room.
- 1. Modern Simple Design: Made of high quality aluminum with elegant arc, surface paint treatment, not easy to oxidation, don't fade. Fashion wall light create a beautiful lighting effect, increase your home security and stylish modern atmosphere.
- 2. Intelligent 8 LED Lamp Beads: Voltage: AC 85V-265V. Size: 220 x 90 x 50 mm. This wall lamp using high-quality LED chip, 8 LED lamp beads produced a perfect superposition light effect, good heat radiation effect, low energy consumption, up to 50,000h of life, no need to replace the bulbs, durable and long lasting.
- 3. Warm Lighting: The light is warm light, no flash, soft and uniform light, eye protection, keep your rooms look warm and comfortable.
- 4. Easy To Install: Wall mounted, the wall should be drilled before install the lamps. You may check our last product picture for installation reference. IP68 waterproof grade. Suitable for living room, bedroom, hall, porch, studio, cafe, garden, yard, indoor and outdoor decoration. Installation Instruction Included.
- 5. Safety: Using IC card constant current driver with short circuit protection design, intelligent control circuit, overload protection and current stable.
If the room is in the attic or there is enough space on the walls, try installing a skylight to provide the room with crucial natural light. A skylight could act as a window for the room and help in proper ventilation of the room.
This will make the room livelier, just like an ordinary bedroom. But if there is no space for installing the skylight or tight on your budget, try replacing the door of your room with a new door or a French door so that the natural light entering from other parts of the house could reach the room.
Try to use mirrors in the room. Generally, a big mirror for dressing up is good enough, but you could install more than one mirror in the room. The mirrors will help reflect the light in the room, making your lighting efforts even more useful. The natural lights will also be bounced to different parts of the room.
- Material: these hexagons wall sticker decal is made of plastic, the surface is reflective and the back has glue itself; There is a protective film on the surface of the wall sticker decal to prevent it from being scratched, please peel it off during use,and it will become clear; Please note that the wall sticker decal with protective film is blurred
- Size type: hexagon shape, each size is approx. 10 x 8.6 x 5 cm/ 4 x 3.4 x 2 inches, equivalent to 1/6 US letter; The sticker may be smaller than you want but works well
- Function: decorative wall sticker decal makes your home look different, more attractive; For the reflective surface can make your room brighter; The smoother the surface, the clearer the reflection will be
- Wide application: it could be applied to most smooth and clean surfaces such as walls, doors, windows, closet and so on, suit for living room, children's playroom, dining room, kitchen, gymnasiums, home, office, hallway, porch and many more
- Note: please paste on the smooth wall surface, such as for plastic surface, smooth wallpaper, smooth glass, wood surface, tile surface, metal surface, latex paint wall; Please do not use it on powder-coated walls; Please make sure the wall is clean, otherwise the sticker will fall after 24 hours
Apart from the lighting, the mirror adds a new dimension to your room and can make it appear more significant than it is. Thus, mirrors will make the room look less claustrophobic and help it look bigger.
- MIRROR SIZE - Set of 4 frameless real glass mirrors, each mirror tile is 12 x 12 inch, 3mm thickness. Advanced polishing technology makes safe and delicate edges
- HIGH-QUALITY - Frameless mirror tiles are made of HD float glass, frosted edge protects well your hands
- DIY FREE DISPLAY - Can be combined as you wish, whatever square, rectangle or in other shapes, to make your home more elegant and warm. Perfect for door mirror, body mirror, Gym mirror, dance mirror and home décor
- EASY INSTALLATION - Package coming with powerful double sided foam tape. It can be easily installed on smooth walls, latex paint walls, light-hole tiled wall furniture or wooden doors, but not for wallpaper, blistering wall, ash-falling wall, moistured wall, uneven wall. After fixed, do not move at will
- 100% SATISFACTION SERVICE - In case any problem or you are not satisfied, please tell us without hesitation, we will try our best to solve your problem
If you are very fond of mirrors, you can install a wall-sized mirror on one of the walls. This will make your room look more significant than ever, and lighting will not be an issue for you. But only do this if you can afford it, as the normal-sized mirrors will also work just fine.
Decorate with Light Colors
The color aspect of a bedroom without windows is essential, and you need to pay special attention to this problem. The walls of the room should be of light and subtle colors. These light colors will not absorb the light and will reflect it, keeping the room bright.
The benefit of using light colors is that through this color, your room’s walls will appear more prominent, and you will find it more spacious. Using dark colors, try to use their lighter shades so that the light in the room remains adequate and the room does not appear small.
You can also match the bedding of your room with the colors of the wall. This will look very beautiful as both will complement each other.
Create a Focus.
As already mentioned, the windows of the room are a very integral part of the house. This is also true in terms of decoration as windows become the base and the focus of the room, according to which your layout other things in your room.
But in a bedroom without windows, you do not have this kind of focus, so there will always be something missing. One way to tackle this problem is by introducing a new focus in the room; this new focus will prevent you from thinking about the windows.
By introducing focus, I mean adding a piece of furniture that can be inclined to the wall. This could be anything from a cupboard to a shelf to a TV stand. You can also include something unique of your own choice to function as a focus for you.
Even though you do not have windows in your bedroom, you can always pretend like one. This can be done by using drapes that you use on windows. The drape should be put on the wall right where you find a window should be. Keep the drapes closed to cover the wall.
The drapes should be light in color so that they match the overall ambiance of the room. The drapes would give you the feeling of the presence of windows in your room (at least when you are not exclusively focusing on them).
- WHAT'S IN THE PACKAGE? Each package includes 2 Belgian linen sheer curtains. Each sheer curtain measures 54-inch width by 84-inch length and finished with 1.6 inch diameter that fits well with standard curtain rods, making them easy to install and move along the pole.
- PREMIUM LINEN LOOK SHEER FABRIC: BONZER sheer curtains are crafted from 100% polyester fabric in a certified STANDARD 100 by OEKO TEX factory. The premium sheer drapes made of linen look fabric and more romance and elegance to your decor.
- LIGHT FILTERING AND PRIVACY BALANCE: This sheer curtain will allow natural light through the beautiful weave but fade the glare of sunlight, which will not only provide exactly light, but also balance your privacy.
- INDOOR MULTIFUNCTION: Bonzer linen sheer curtains are perfect for indoor space like living room, bedroom and more. Our curtains can not only soften the ambience of a room, but also decorate your room with a more elegant and comfortable look.
- CARE IS SIMPLE: Durable sheer curtain panels are machine washable in gentle cycle and cold water. Do not bleach. Tumble dry low and cool iron as needed.
Make sure that the cloth of the drape is thick enough. This is because a thin drape would let you see through it, and it would not serve the purpose for which you had installed it. A thick cloth would prevent this from happening.
If this is not enough, you can install an artificial window or a sticker on the outside behind the drape to get more real. This will calm you mentally, and hence the room will get livelier.
It would help if you did not fill your closed bedroom with bulky furniture as it will get more claustrophobic, and the floor area of the room will also be significantly reduced. So always try using light furniture in a bedroom without windows as it will not take up a lot of floor area and be suitable for your budget. Also, try to use less furniture than other rooms.
The furniture’s color should also not be very dark, and a lighter tone is the best. A white-colored sofa would go very well with the walls. The sofa’s light color will make it appear large, and hence the room will also seem to appear large.
The cupboards and other wooden furniture like cabinets can be light in color, like light brown, or it could also be dark in color like black. Both types of color will complement the overall ambiance of the room. If using a fan, try to go for a ceiling fan as it will take little to no space compared to pedestal fans.
These ideas will help you decorate your room so that you will not realize the absence of windows, and the room will be as comforting as a bedroom with windows.
If you have a room without windows in your house, try to use it as a guest room as its regular use is not advised. But if you do not have any other option other than using that room as a bedroom, try using the tips mentioned above to reduce the effects of a widow with less room. You should also pay attention to the ventilation of the room.
Make sure that the room is supplied with at least a minimum amount of fresh air. Try installing a skylight if you can, as it is just like having a window, and it will also help with natural light and ventilation.