If you are an animal & bird lover, then you must be acquainted with the term of feeders. Glass hummingbird feeders are the best to feed one of the smallest birds on this planet.
Moreover, placing these beautiful & attractive glass hummingbird feeders would be a good thought to bring in many more hummingbirds.
What is Glass Hummingbird Feeders?
Firstly, the term bird feeders means a device or a vessel that is used to give or supply food to birds. These feeders are placed in outdoor areas. When the feeder is specifically designed for hummingbirds & designed with the material glass, then the feeder is termed a glass hummingbird feeder.
Glass hummingbird feeders must face severe weather conditions like rains & strong sunlight. So, the glass material should be capable of withstanding it. The construction of these glass hummingbird feeders is done in such a way that they can withstand severe weather conditions as well as keeps the aesthetics of the feeder.
Yet, one should take care as glass tends to shatter or break when it falls from a height or is subjected to pressure. Glass hummingbird feeders must be tied well to support & also sufficient safety measures must be ensured. Also, the factor winds must be considered.
Types of Glass Hummingbird Feeders
One of the oldest types of the glass hummingbird feeder. They have been in the practice for several years. They are surely one of the best for hummingbirds. This feeder as the name suggests is for the bottom filling of bird food.
The feeder works by releasing the bird food slowly through small ports. There is a reservoir at the base that creates a vacuum to negate the chances of any spillage. Unscrewing the nectar reservoir can be employed for refilling & cleaning purposes.
The top-fill ones were introduced to the process of refilling & cleaning much easier. The functioning is completely different from the bottom fill one. The mechanism used in the top fill one is the float mechanism that dispenses the proper amount of bird food.
It is quite difficult to distinguish between these two types (bottom fill & top fill) as they look the same from the exterior. But the work is completely different. The refilling in the top fills one is very simple. Unscrewing the top cap & add the bird food into it.
Attractive & Decorative
These ones are based on aesthetics. Glass hummingbird feeders with more aesthetics are usually preferred by the hummingbirds. They are available in many different & stunning shapes. Moreover, there is an availability of different styles too! Antique bottles & Mason Jars are some of the best examples of decorative glass hummingbird feeders.
Best Glass Hummingbird Feeders You Can Buy Online
1. Perky-Pet Green Antique Bottle Glass Hummingbird Feeder (Also Available in Red Color)
This green antique glass hummingbird feeder from Perky-Pet looks absolutely ravishing in the outdoor settings. It has four feeding ports. Each feeding port is made up in the shape of a flower. These feeding ports are useful in attracting hummingbirds.
The base is made up of nickel. This ensures that the base is durable & beautiful. This decorative feeder is easy to clean & fill. These hummingbird feeders can hold up to 10 ounces of nectar.
No products found.
2. More Birds Red Vintage Hummingbird Feeder
This red vintage glass hummingbird feeder from More Birds is eye-catching. It has five feeding ports. Each feeding port is made up in the shape of a red flower. These red flower-shaped feeding ports are useful in bringing many hummingbirds.
The base is made up of durable plastic. It is golden in color. This decorative type of feeder is not dishwasher-friendly. These hummingbird feeders can hold up to 20 ounces of nectar.
- NECTAR CAPACITY: Holds 20 fluid ounces of hummingbird nectar
- FEEDING PORTS: Features five flower-shaped feeding ports to accommodate multiple hummingbirds
- BEAUTIFUL DESIGN: Red vintage bottle design provides an antique feel with a brushed gold plastic base to extend the life of your feeder
- ATTRACT MORE HUMMINGBIRDS: Red is a hummingbird's favorite color; attract more with the red bottle and red flower feeding ports
3. Nature’s Rhythm Antique Blue Hummingbird Feeder (Bottle Is Also Available in Transparent & Red Color)
This antique blue glass hummingbird feeder from Nature’s Rhythm is quite attractive. It has five feeding ports. Each feeding port is in the shape of a red flower. It comes with a bee guard design & nectar leakage is prevented.
The base is made up of metal. The metal is powder-coated with black & brown colors. These hummingbird feeders can hold up to 23-28 ounces of nectar. Refilling & cleaning is quite easy too.
No products found.
4. Perky-Pet Cactus Top Fill Glass Hummingbird Feeder
This cactus-shaped glass hummingbird feeder from Perky-Pet looks unique. It has five feeding ports. Each feeding port is in the shape of a flower. The flowers are flexible & soft. They come with removable perches. It has a bee protective mechanism.
This feeder has a wide mouth which makes it easy to clean & fill. The gasket at the base prevents any potential chance of leakage. These hummingbird feeders can hold up to 32 ounces of nectar.
- Innovative Top-Fill Design – The wide-mouth, Top-Fill bottle can be filled from the top for easy, mess-free filling
- Lifelike Feeding Ports – Five hollyhock-inspired feeding ports are soft and flexible to offer a more natural feeding experience for hummingbirds
- Keep Insects Out – The flower-shaped feeding ports have a long, tapered stem to keep bees out of nectar
- Removable Perches – All five feeding stations include removable perches so you can use the feeder with or without them
5. Rezipo Blue Hand-Blown Glass Hummingbird Feeder with Perch
This hummingbird feeder from Rezipo is made from hand-blown glass! The glass is sturdy & durable. This feeder is of mounting type & comes with hanging wires & moat hook. It looks quite attractive with a beautiful design finish. It has four feeding ports that are made up of metal. Each feeding port is in the shape of a flower.
This feeder has a two-part base with a wide mouth which makes it easy to clean & fill. The unique sealing ring prevents any potential chance of leakage. These hummingbird feeders can hold up to 38 ounces of nectar.
- EASY TO CLEAN: The clear glass makes seeing red hummingbird nectar easy for refilling and cleaning purposes
- EASY TO FILL NECTAR: Clear glass, Wide-mouth reservoir and two-part base makes seeing and refilling the feeder with nectar simple and easy for your...
- ATTRACT HUMMINGBIRD: Brushed copper glass and bright color make the hummingbird feeder more attractive for hummingbirds
- RELIABLE MATERIAL: Innovative sealing ring aids in leak prevention, Hand Blown Glass is sturdy and durable
6. Perky-Pet Red Mason Jar Glass Hummingbird Feeder (Also available in Blue color)
This red mason jar glass hummingbird feeder from Perky-Pet is a great option if you are looking for a mason jar glass hummingbird feeder. It has five feeding ports. Each feeding port is made up of galvanized steel & in the shape of a flower to attract hummingbirds.
The base is also made up of galvanized steel. This ensures that the base is durable & attractive. This decorative feeder has a wide mouth which makes it easy to clean & fill. These hummingbird feeders can hold up to 32 ounces of nectar.
No products found.
7. More Birds Hunter Green Mason Jar Hummingbird Feeder
This hunter green mason jar glass hummingbird feeder is from More Birds & is a great option if you want one in a (bottle) color other than red. It has five feeding ports. Each feeding port is made up of durable plastic with a bronze finish.
The feeding port is in the shape of a flower & red in color to bring in many hummingbirds. The base is also made up of durable plastic with a bronze finish. This hummingbird feeder is not dishwasher-friendly. The feeder can hold up to 25 ounces of nectar.
- NECTAR CAPACITY: Holds 25 fluid ounces of hummingbird nectar
- FEEDING PORTS: Features five flower shaped feeding ports to accommodate multiple hummingbirds
- VINTAGE DESIGN: Mason jar bottle design provides an antique folksy feel with brushed bronze finish base
- ATTRACT MORE HUMMINGBIRDS: Red is a hummingbird's favorite color; attract more with the red flower feeding ports
8. Nature’s Way Mason Jar Hummingbird Dish Feeder
This unique mason jar glass hummingbird feeder is from Nature’s way. It is a transparent dish feeder & has four feeding ports. The feeding port is in the shape of a flower & red in color to attract the hummingbirds. This hummingbird dish feeder is dishwasher-friendly. The feeder can hold up to 4-6 ounces of nectar.
- Unique design creates an easy-to-use hummingbird feeder combined with a one-of-a-kind look that will be a favorite for both you and the hummingbirds!
- Four feeding ports attract multiple hummingbirds
- Wide opening enables easier filling and cleaning
- Leak-free flowers remove for a more thorough cleaning
How to Clean a Glass Hummingbird Feeder
It is very important to maintain cleanliness & hygiene in the glass hummingbird feeders. You really won’t want the hummingbirds to eat in an unhygienic space. Moreover, the clean glass hummingbird feeders attract many more hummingbirds.
Also, it has been observed that the hummingbirds do not return to the feeders that are unhygienic. Follow the given steps to clean a glass hummingbird feeder,
- Step 1: Completely emptying the glass hummingbird feeder.
- Step 2: Disassemble the glass hummingbird feeder.
- Step 3: Dip the glass hummingbird feeder into a soap solution.
- Step 4: Scrubbing the glass hummingbird feeder.
- Step 5: Cleanly rinse the glass hummingbird feeder with clean water
- Step 6: Reassemble the glass hummingbird feeder.
- Liquid soap (Preferably with no odor)
- Scrub or brush or a small mop.
Step 1: Completely Emptying the Glass Hummingbird Feeder
Before you start the process of cleaning, it is vital to remove any remaining bird food from the glass hummingbird feeder. Start removing the bird food & discard it. Now, just flush the feeder with water.
Step 2: Disassemble the Glass Hummingbird Feeder
To make the process of cleaning the glass hummingbird feeder, much simpler & easier, it is recommended to disassemble the feeder. This will allow to clean each & every corner of the glass hummingbird feeder.
Step 3: Dip the Glass Hummingbird Feeder into A Soap Solution
Prepare a soap solution by adding some liquid soap to clean water. After some time, the soap solution would ready for you! Now dip all the disassembled parts into the soap solution for an hour or so.
Step 4: Scrubbing the Glass Hummingbird Feeder
Now using a scrub, brush, or mop starts scrubbing the disassembled parts of the glass hummingbird feeder. Clean the corners & the base neatly. Especially, pay attention to any molds or dirty spots present in it.
Step 5: Cleanly Rinse the Glass Hummingbird Feeder with Clean Water
Once, the process of scrubbing is completed then you can clean the glass hummingbird feeder by rinsing it with a stream of clean water. This helps in the removal of any soap solution residue, dirt, molds, etc.
Step 6: Reassemble the Glass Hummingbird Feeder
Now, carefully reassemble all the parts of the glass hummingbird feeder. But before that ensure that these parts are completely dried & have no retention of moisture. Once, you have reassembled the feeder, you can refill it with bird food too. Place the glass hummingbird feeder back into its original position after you reassemble & refill it with bird food.
Other Cleaning Methods
Other than the previous cleaning method there are two more cleaning methods for the glass hummingbird feeders. Though the soap solution is the easiest & recommended one, you can also use the following two methods:
Vinegar or Acetic Acid Solution
In this cleaning process, all the steps for the cleaning of the glass hummingbird feeder would be the same. Just replace the soap solution with an acetic acid solution. Add some vinegar to water instead of liquid soap.
You can use a dishwasher for cleaning the glass hummingbird feeders if they are dishwasher safe. Also, it is recommended that dishwashing should be employed for general cleaning, as it is incapable of removing the molds.
Q. Should I Clean the Glass Hummingbird Feeder Every Week?
Ans. It is recommended that the glass hummingbird feeder must be cleaned at once a week. But there are two key factors on which the cleaning depends upon. The two factors are:
- The Number of Birds: More the number of birds means that the cleaning process must be employed twice or even thrice a week!
- Weather: Depending upon the temperature & the type of season going on, certain bird food substances can quickly rot. There are high chances of mold formation, so to avoid this the cleaning of the glass hummingbird feeders can be done twice or thrice a week, or even much more.
Q. How Often Should I Refill the Glass Hummingbird Feeder?
Ans. Usually, you can refill the glass hummingbird feeder every three or four days, but if factors such as the number of birds & weather influence the refilling, then it would be twice a week, or even more.
Q. Are the Hummingbirds Really Attracted to Red Color?
Ans. It is true that hummingbirds are attracted to red color. There isn’t any scientific backing to this phenomenon. But many bird lovers & experts have pointed out their attraction towards red color.
The only thing that science has explained is that hummingbirds have a higher sensitivity towards bright colors. Except for the bright colors they see other colors to be very dull. So, getting your hands on red-colored glass hummingbird feeders would be a wise choice.
Q. What Type of Food & Nutrients Are Required by A Hummingbird?
Ans. Hummingbirds usually consume nectar from the plants as their diet. They also consume small insects. For a healthy hummingbird, the diet must include proteins, vitamins & minerals. Nectar is quite essential for hummingbirds as they spend a lot of energy. Nectar provides them with the energy they require to function. Nectar is usually made up of sugars like sucrose, etc. Insects provide them with several proteins, vitamins & minerals.