The kitchen is truly the heart of your home. As a place to gather, share, create, and make memories, your kitchen and dining room decor should be as special as those you share it with. This is why, when it comes to remodeling, so many homeowners start with the kitchen. Whether designing a classic kitchen, bulthaup kitchen, or a modern look, there are so many unique ways that you can transform your kitchen space.
But how exactly do you get started with a modern kitchen design? And what is a modern kitchen in the first place? Here, we’re answering these questions and more by taking a closer look at how you can transform your kitchen with a modern kitchen design. When it comes to remodeling your kitchen or designing one from scratch, it really all comes down to the details. That’s why we’re focusing on the smaller features that, when brought all together, can create a truly magnificent kitchen.
We’ve all heard this term thrown around, especially if you’re looking into a kitchen remodel, but have you stopped to really identify what it means? Modern kitchen design hit the scene in the early 20th century, around World War I, with a new take on what kitchens can look like and much more than the inclusion of Mora knives. Compared to more complex or ornamental kitchen designs, modern kitchens are sleek, simple, and classic. Characterized by flat surfaces, geometric forms, and few adornments, a modern kitchen design returns to basics to create a space that is both functional and alluring.
Rather than a focus on natural materials for your kitchen, a modern design incorporates more materials such as laminate, ceramics, and molded plastics. Of course, you can style your modern kitchen to meet your own needs and taste. One thing that draws so many people to this aesthetic is the functional approach to design. A modern kitchen not only looks great, but it helps to make cooking a breeze.
There are simply so many different ways that you can design your own modern kitchen to fit your needs, taste—and of course, your budget. With a solid plan in place and a little inspiration, the only limit to your kitchen design is your own imagination. To help you get started, we’re providing some of the most popular and eye-catching details that will take your modern kitchen design to the next level. Remember, when it comes down to it, an appealing and functional design is all about the small things and the details.
Read on to learn about some of the most innovative and appealing details to complete your new kitchen design.
· High end backsplash: your backsplash is the material used to cover the surface between the kitchen countertops and the upper cabinets. This space, most noticeable right behind the sink, needs to be both functional and appealing. The most common material for a backsplash is tile, but you can also opt for natural stone or exposed brick for your backsplash.
· Eye-catching wallpaper: who said your kitchen walls need to be white and dull? Consider opting for some eye-catching wallpaper that adds a new dimension to your cooking and dining space. This is a great opportunity to really add your own spark of creativity by selecting the right wallpaper.
· Different color tones: most modern kitchen designs stick to a relatively simple color palette, using just one or two colors or even going with pure white. If you have one color in mind but want some more variety, consider using different tones of that one color to add depth and dimension to your space (you’ll be amazed by how many different shades of blue are out there).
· Go big on tile: tile is a popular choice for flooring and backsplashes, but you don’t need to stop there. Some modern kitchen designs go big on tile, using it for the walls and island and other surfaces to create a clean and sleek look throughout the entire kitchen.
· Add some green: we all don’t have the space for a full outdoor kitchen, but this doesn’t mean you can’t add some flora to your cooking and dining space. Some potted plants spread throughout your kitchen can add a pleasant splash of green and liven up your space. You could also start your own herb garden to have fresh herbs on hand for all your culinary creations.
· Open shelves: if you’re proud of your dining sets, why are you hiding them away in cupboards? Open shelves offer a chance to open up your kitchen and maximize the space while adding a unique look for your wall space. Some may think this move looks cluttered, but others love the freedom offered by open shelves.
· Kitchen island: both functional and attractive, the kitchen island is an essential feature for any modern kitchen design. If you love to cook, a large kitchen island offers more prep space. If you love to entertain, simply pull up a few stools and you have more of a dining area. What’s not to love about this versatility?
There are countless ways to design your kitchen. From classic to Victorian to a country kitchen design, it’s important to select a design and layout that fits your needs and style. If you’re interested in a kitchen that looks and feels good, that is both functional and eye-catching, you should look into designing a modern kitchen. Modern kitchens offer a sleek, sophisticated, and simple design for your kitchen that can transform your cooking and dining experience.
When it comes to designing the perfect modern kitchen, it’s all about the details. By getting the small things right, you’ll be amazed how your kitchen design comes together. By incorporating some high-end details, such as an eye-catching backsplash, tile, unique color tones, or even wallpaper, you can create a truly unique kitchen. Your kitchen is the heart of your home. Why not give it a new look?