Honeywell thermostats are pure blessings for us and no wonder why people love them so much. Having the temperature right under control is one of the primary pillars of comfort and Honeywell thermostats take care of that perfectly well.
With its huge variety, starting from the ones with room temperature sensors to the brand new wifi-enabled model, these thermostats have been massively gaining popularity in recent times. But with a variety of models comes confusion about when and how you should change the batteries.
Well, if you have a similar question then you do not have to worry anymore because will take you through the entire process, starting from how to understand when it is time to change the batteries to the actual process of changing the batteries. Yes readers, today we are going to talk about Honeywell thermostats replacing batteries and everything related to it.
Let us Begin.
When Should You Change the Batteries?
Now speaking of Honeywell thermostats replacing batteries, although changing the batteries are very easy, sometimes with different models, there are some variations in the process. Hence, we would be helping you out in understanding those variations. Also, not all thermostat runs on batteries, so if you want to check if yours is a battery-run device or not then you should simply check if it has an LED display. If it does, then your device is running on batteries.
Now coming to the main question of Honeywell thermostats replacing batteries, when should you change the batteries of the thermostat. Generally, you need to change the batteries once a year. Although, the lifespan of the battery also largely depends on your use but generally, one set of batteries lasts for about a year. Also, once the batteries are about to expire, you get enough warnings from the device.
The first warning that you get is about 60 days before the battery expires. Here the LED screen flashes, low battery, or battery needs to be replaced repetitively on the screen. It is better to be prepared from then on and change the battery before your device completely dies. This notification will keep flashing not one day but continuously with breaks in between once you enter the last 60 days of the battery life.
There is a second type of warning, but this is the last stage of warning. Here the LED screen of the device turns black, and the device shuts down. This happens when the battery is about to be completely drained out of the system. However, in our opinion, you should not wait till the last minute to change the battery.
Now there are some thermostats where the batteries are only used as an extra backup. In this case, you might think that you do not have to change the batteries on time. However, that is a wrong approach. Even if the batteries are just a power backup for your device, you should still change them to keep your program setting intact.
In case you fail to charge these batteries, and go dead after their life span is over, you will see specific changes in the date and time setting of the thermostat, or you can even permanently lose the data.
How Do You Find Out the Model Number of The Thermostat and Why is It Necessary?
Next on, Honeywell thermostats replacing batteries. Let us talk about why it is necessary. As we were discussing before, each thermostat model has a different way of getting its batteries changed, so to know the right way to remove the battery from your device and replace it with the new ones, you will have to know about the model that you are using, that is, it is model number. This piece of information will ensure that you go in the right direction of doing the work.
Now that we know why you need to know your device’s model number, we will now talk about where you can spot it. If you are lucky enough then most devices have the number printed at the front of the model.
In this case, finding the model number is no big deal. However, if you see that your device does not have the model number printed on it then there can be 2 places where you can find it. It is either on the back of the device (you will have to remove it from the base to check it) or it is on the LED display.
If it is one the display itself then again you will not have to go through much trouble to find it but if it is on the back of the model, then there are a few more steps involved.
Steps to Find the Model Number on The Back of The Model
- The first and foremost thing that you should keep in mind is to remove it from the electric socket. Keeping it connected to a source of electricity increases the chances of you being exposed to live wire which can give you a fatal shock.
- The second step is to slide over the device off the base cover. Once it has been separated, you will find the model number written on the back of the device.
- Once you are done noting the number, slide it back into the base cover and put it back in its original place. Your work here is done.
In case you cannot find the model number of your thermostat in any of these three places then there is only one option left. Check out the box or the user-manual that came with it for the model number. You will surely find it there.
What Kind of Batteries Does Your Thermostat Require?
Next on Honeywell thermostats replacing batteries, we need to know the type of battery your thermostat needs. There are generally two types of batteries that are required for a thermostat. It is either AA or AAA.
Also, there are two types of covers when it comes to a thermostat. Some of them have a sliding cover, you can simply slide the device off the base plate just how you did to check the model number.
But let us say your device does not have a sliding compartment feature, then you will have to remove the cover plate from the device and gently separate it from the base plate.
Even doing this is not very difficult, you just might need some extra effort to do that.
Replacement of Series 8000 Honeywell Thermostat Battery
- With a large touchscreen display, the VisionPRO 8000 WiFi Programmable Thermostat makes it easy to control your home comfort.
- Program a schedule for every day of the week or control the temperature remotely anytime from the Total Connect Comfort app.
- Adaptive Intelligent Recovery
- Schedule for Energy Savings
This is a brand-new model with a lot of the latest features. This is the model that is compatible with wifi and a large screen display. In this model, you can also set the schedule for the day or even the entire week and control the temperature from any remote location easily through the Total Connect Control App.
Now, coming to the part of changing the batteries. First, let us tell you that this series of Honeywell thermostats will require 3 AAA batteries. Here are the following steps-
- The first step is basic, and this goes for all the thermostats, you need to switch off the current supply and it takes it out of the electrical outlet for your personal safety.
- After this, hold the base plate properly and pull off the front cover. Here holding the base plate will help you exert the required force to pull out the front cover.
- Once the front has been separated, you will see the battery compartment. There, replace the old batteries with the 3 new AAA batteries. Make sure you check the polarity of the batteries properly.
- Put the front cover back on the device, secure it in its position and plug the thermostat back in its position.
And that is it. Your thermostat’s battery has been changed and it will start to work like before.
Replacement of Series 6000 Honeywell Thermostat Battery
- 4-1/16 in. Long x 4-1/16 in. Wide x 1-3/32 in. Deep
- 20 to 30 vac
- 37 f to 102 f
- 4-1/16 in. Long x 4-1/16 in. Wide x 1-3/32 in. Deep
Next on Honeywell thermostats replacing batteries, we will talk about the 6000 series. This model too comes with a feature to schedule the program for the thermostat in advance. This does not just make your work easy, but it also saves a lot of energy.
Apart from that, it has a big backlit LED display that shows both the room temperature as well as the set temperature. Along with all these one of the biggest benefits of this model is its wireless installation which is highly convenient for the consumers.
Coming to the batteries, it will require AA batteries instead of AAA (as needed in the 8000 series), and honestly speaking, changing the batteries for the 6000 is comparatively easier because of the sliding battery compartment.
Now that know about the basic features and the type of batteries that this model will require, let us talk about the process of changing the dead batteries from this thermostat.
- Switch off the power supply to the thermostat as we have already discussed.
- Then press on the back cover and pull it off to remove the battery holder. Remember, that if you are not pressing it right then the cover from the bottom might not come off that easily.
- Next, slide out the battery compartment. Take out the old, dead batteries and replace them with new AA batteries.
- Ensure that you have checked the polarity of the batteries properly. The (+) and the (-) sign will help you determine the polarity.
- Secure the cover back on the base plate like it was before.
You can now switch on your thermostat.
Replacement of Series 5000 Honeywell Thermostat Battery
The series 5000 comes with a lot more features. It has a large backlit display which makes reading the numbers very easy even in a dark or dimly lit room. The second-best thing is that it can automatically change between cooling or heating system depending upon the room temperature. It also has the option to adjust the font size at your convenience.
Speaking of changing the batteries, the best part here is that accessing the battery compartment in the 5000 models is very easy because it has a sliding battery compartment and you do not have to separate the cover from the base plate as we did in the previous models. Speaking of the battery type, for the 5000 model, you will be needing AA batteries.
Here are the steps that you need to follow to change the batteries of this series-
- First turn off the power supply as usual for your own safety.
- Next, you need to press and pull the cover to take out the battery compartment from the top right corner.
- Then take out the battery compartment, remove the old batteries and replace them with the new AA batteries. As usual, make sure that you check the polarity properly.
- Now place the cover back on the top just how it was before.
Now you can switch on the thermostat, the batteries have been successfully replaced.
Replacement of Series 4000 Honeywell Thermostat Battery
- HONEYWELL Pro 4000 5-2 programmable digital thermostat 1 heat/1 cool white
- Model - TH4110D1007
- This is manufactured in United States
- Weekday/Weekend programming - 5-2 (Weekdays, Weekend) programming
The 4000 series comes with air cleaners, a large backlit display for easier readability, energy-saving benefits, along with scheduling program, and an inbuilt compressor protection system. The controls are also great for this series and give you good control over the temperature, fan speed, etc. Also, the quality of the product and the battery life is also great. For this model, you will be needing AA batteries.
Now, we will discuss the steps that are involved in changing the batteries of the 4000 series-
- Firstly, as usual, remove the thermostat from any source of electricity. Make sure that you are not exposed to any live wire.
- Next, remove the cover plate. To do that, push the plate from the bottom. It will come out.
- Next, replace the old dead batteries with the new AA batteries and again, check the polarity.
- Then put the cover back in its place and secure it firmly.
Your thermostat is now ready for use.
Replacement of Series 3000 Honeywell Thermostat Battery
This model too comes with a compressor protector so that the air conditioner compressor as well as the heating compressor, are well protected. Also, this model too has easy-to-read backlit LED screens with easy slinging switches that make controlling the temperature and the fan easy.
Now, we are going to discuss the process of changing the batteries for this model-
- Firstly, as usual, you need to cut off the power supply for your protection.
- Press and pull off the cover plate from the base plate to access the battery compartment.
- Once you find out the battery compartment, replace the old batteries with the new ones.
And your thermostat is all set and ready to be used again.
Replacement of Series 2000 & 1000 Honeywell Thermostat Battery
- Country Of Origin: United States
- Model Number: TH4110U2005/U
- Item Package Dimension: 6.49999999337" L x 5.099999994798" W x 2.299999997654" H
- Item Package Weight: 13.8 oz
Lastly, we are going to talk about the 2000 and 1000 series of the Honeywell thermostat. These are best suited for you in case you are on a budget. It comes with the usual features of program scheduling and a backlit display with easy controls
Steps involved in changing the battery in these two series-
- As mentioned before, cut off the power supply to ensure your own safety.
- Separate the base plate and the cover plate. To do this, you need to pull the plate from the bottom.
- Once you find the battery compartment, replace the old batteries with new AA batteries.
- Put the cover plate back in its place and secure it firmly in its place.
And that is it. That is all that you need to do to change the batteries from these two devices.
Guide to Change the Battery in Some Other Models-
Apart from the series of models that we have mentioned above, there are a few more models that are available in the market so we would also tell you about the process of changing their batteries.
Honeywell Thermostat-Lyric Round
In this discussion of Honeywell thermostats replacing batteries, we are also going to discuss some other models. A brilliant Honeywell thermostat model is this one. It has got a unique feature of geofencing, which means that you can use this to adjust the temperature of your thermostat using your geographical location.
The glass touch screen also gives it a very chic look to match your house’s interior and you can also link it to other 3rd party devices like the Apple watch or IFTTT or you can link it to other smart devices like Alexa or Google Home.
To remove and change the battery from this device, these are the following steps that you need to follow.
- First, switch off the power supply as usual and separate it from the sub-base.
- Once you do that, the battery compartment will be visible to you. You can change the batteries from there now.
- After that, you need to put the faceplate back into the sub-base, and you are done!
There is another kind of model of Honeywell thermostat- RTH110B.
This one has the basic features like, giving you control over the air conditioner and the heating pump, but it lacks some other top-notch features that are available with the models mentioned above like scheduling the program in advance or being compatible with other third-party devices like IFTTT, apple watch, Alexa, etc.
However, if you own this model and you want to know how you can change the battery of this model, then we will help you out. The process here is pretty much the same-
- Remove it from the electrical outlet for your safety.
- Separate it from the cover plate to find the battery compartment.
- Once you have found that replace the dead old batteries with the new ones keeping in mind the polarity of the batteries.
- Put the cover plate back in its position and secure it in its place.
And you are all set to use your thermostat just like before.
Now that we have talked about Honeywell thermostats replacing batteries, there are a few things that you need to keep in mind while changing the batteries of the Honeywell thermostat-
- The best-suited batteries for most Honeywell thermostats are AA or AAA alkaline batteries, if you are still confused, we recommend that you refer to the user manual provided with the device. The best companies for purchasing thermostat batteries are Duracell and Panasonic.
- Once you change the battery of the thermostat, the low battery signal goes away and it goes back to its usual functioning. However, if you see that even after changing the battery, the symbol of low battery is still flashing then do not worry, just reset the device and it will be fine.
- If you see that after a while of showing the low battery symbol, the LED display of the thermostat has turned black then again you do not have to worry. Your thermostat has gone into a power-saving mode and it will be back to normal once you change the batteries,
- Always remember to cut off the power supply to the thermostat when you are working with it, that is, changing its battery, Else you might be exposed to a live wire and get a fatal shock.
- Your thermostat will inform you about the low battery 60 days in advance but that does not mean that you should wait till the end. Be it your thermostat or any other device, waiting until the last moment to change the batteries can damage them in the long run.
So, this was all that you needed to know about Honeywell thermostats replacing batteries and the process of changing the batteries for various models.
Just make sure that you have got the right kind of battery for each model (which you will get in our guide as well as the user manual that comes with it) and follow the directions that we have provided for each model and you will be good to go.
We hope that this article was helpful for you and if you have any further queries, do not be shy to reach out to us in the comment section below!