A good coffee table is a vital piece of furniture. It enhances the look of your living room and gives it great functionality. A good coffee table in your seating area helps add a comfortable vibe to your home, and it serves several functions, which is why getting the coffee table dimensions right is vital.
You can use the coffee table to serve drinks, place a laptop to relax your feet, and even play fun games. There are several different designs and coffee sizes of table sizes available. Creating a functioning living room with a great coffee table is essential. You should consider several factors before choosing the right kind of coffee table for your living room.
What is the Average Size of a Coffee Table?
Finding a perfect size coffee table is not an easy task. There are several things you need to check before finalizing this piece of furniture. The most overlooked part when buying a coffee table is size. Although the design and the style of the colors are essential, the size of your coffee table can change the entire functionality of your hall.
A wrongly sized coffee table in your living room can create an illusion of a smaller place and be of no use. It would help if you considered the space available, the overall vibe you are aiming for, and the place you want to devote to specific furniture pieces before finalizing any coffee table.
How to Get the Perfect-sized Coffee Table?
When you plan to buy a new coffee table, you must first do a thorough analysis of your living room furniture. This is essential to find a size at coordinates with all the other pieces in your living.
You must get a tape and measure all the height of your sofa set, of your TV compartment and the other furniture pieces in your living room. These measurements will be the building block for selecting a good coffee table that will be great for your space.
It would help if you had the dimensions of length, height with depth, and the placement style of your coffee table to make a wise decision.
Coffee Table Height
Selecting the correct height for a coffee table is essential. This is because it will determine the overall aesthetic vibe and functionality of your living room. Usually, you should follow the principle of not going above 3 inches of your sofa seat height. Normally, it is the same height as your sofa seat height. You can go for a slightly elevated version to make it more functional.
Points to Remember:
- Usually, a standard coffee table height that is primarily available is 16 inches and 18 inches. You can get a piece customized based on your sofa seat height as well as the placement you want to keep it in. The ideal height will be very comfortable so that you and your family can use it effectively.
- A coffee table should be comfortable, adaptable, and versatile and should be able to cater to all your needs without serving as a hassle in your living room. The best size is 12 to 24 inches. It depends on the sofa seat size and the use and how many objects you want to put on it. It will also depend on the location and the size of the room you are placing it in.
- The height of the coffee table should be such that the person sitting in front of the table, usually on the couch, can easily place an object on it without trying. Another way to test coffee table dimensions is that the person must extend feet and relax completely.
- Most standard guidelines use anywhere between 16 to 18 inches, but if you have a higher seat cushion height, you can go up to 19 inches. For sofa sets that have low profile seating, the standard height of 16 inches is suitable. An over-the-top seating that is much more elevated suggests an overstuffed sofa set with 20 inches is the ideal height. Here is one table you can check out.
- Open shelving for storage and display
- Finished on all sides for versatile placement
- Durable, black metal frame
- Charter Oak finish
The height of your coffee table will largely depend on the seating around it. You must remember the tabletop should be inches lesser than the seat height or at the same height so that a clearance is available above the tabletop. You must follow the rule of two-thirds to find the correct table height.
Coffee Table Length
The perfect size for a great coffee table usually is based on its primary functions. Before deciding the length, find out the primary purpose of getting this coffee table.
Points to Remember:
- If you want it to be the centerpiece of your living room, you need to decide the length accordingly. The size of your coffee table should be somewhere between two-third of the length of your sofa. Usually, a sofa set measures up to 88 inches so look for a table length of around 58 to 60 inches. This will ensure that the table does not look out of place and its proportion about seating and the space around the room.
- It is a good idea that you take a coffee table length in proportion to the seating set so that it creates a synchronous look in your living room and does not look out of place. Many times, people make the mistake of buying a tiny and colossal coffee table. A tiny coffee table looks odd in the living room, and people are not utilizing it and placing all the objects or using it correctly because of its tiny size.
- A massive coffee table can affect foot traffic, and you need to go around it longer to exit the place or enter the living room and reach your seating. Thus, all the decisions must be made regarding proportions, and following the rule of two-thirds can help.
- The most common length for a coffee table is usually 120 cm, but you must find out the correct proportions of your living room so that you leave enough room on both sides and get a great piece of furniture. Keeping check of the ratio will give a comfortable feel and make this the best part of your house.
Coffee Table Width
A critical thing to check is the width of your coffee table. The width of the table is essential to get a proportionate and symmetrical look in your house.
Points to Remember:
- A harmonious living room has a width that is not too much or not too less. It should be enough that it matches the seating of your living room.
- For determining the perfect width, you must have a correct placement area. Proper placement will allow you to quickly move around the coffee table and not stumble or collide with the furniture pieces outside.
- Usually, the method for finding the correct width is done by subtracting the area around the table you want to leave. The rest of the remaining area can be calculated to find the perfect measurement.
Just measure your sofa set and the other big piece of furniture in your room and then subtract the area you want to remove. These will be the perfect coffee table dimensions for your house.
The positioning of your coffee table is another essential thing you must remember when finding the correct dimensions for the coffee table. You must leave at least eighteen inches of space between the coffee table and the surrounding seating.
This will allow people to move around it quickly, stretch their legs, and easily navigate the room without colliding with any other furniture piece. Finding out the correct clearance will help you get a better idea about the positioning of the coffee table, and you can then choose the style of coffee table you want to get.
Styles of Coffee Table
There are several different types of coffee table styles available. These are based on various dimensions and materials used. Usually, the coffee table is long and low and is placed in front of chairs or sofa and is adorned by books, decorative objects, beverage coasters, etc. This is usually used for tea and coffee settings. There are several different types of coffee tables available, and the average coffee table dimension depends on the style.
Shaker Coffee Table
Shaker coffee tables are one of the most common types of coffee tables available. These are minimalistically designed coffee tables and do not use any ornamentation there are multi-purpose and have a great visual appeal. They are usually made of cherry maple and are painted with colors. They also have a draw full of to increase their functionality. It has simple straight legs and has a great smooth top.
- DIMENSIONS: 18.1" D x 20" W x 19.7" H
- SOLID WOOD: Handcrafted with care using the finest quality Pine
- HAND FINISHED with a Distressed Grey stain and protective NC lacquer to accentuate and highlight the grain and the uniqueness of each piece of...
- MULTIPURPOSE TABLE can be used as an end table or side table. Looks great in your living room, great room, condo or bedroom
Cottage Coffee Table
Another type of prevalent style of coffee table is the cottage coffee table. It is a family-style coffee table and has turned legs. It also has an excellent finish and can transform the way you are living room looks. It is available in number and has a regal look to it. It is very detailed, d and the legs of this coffee table are a sight to behold.
Industrial Coffee Table
An industrial coffee table is a well-designed coffee table. Usually, it has a sturdy construction best suited for long-style living rooms and offers a perfect contrast to the surroundings.
Pearson Coffee Table
A Pearson coffee table is usually a modern minimalistic design with a rectangular flush look and a beautiful flat top. It has a simple shape though it can be updated with different kinds of embellishments and upholstery.
Modern Coffee Table
The modern coffee table is another kind of coffee table. These have a sophisticated look and are usually made of wood and glass, and have glass tops and a metal base. They look lovely and add a fun Vibe to your living room.
There are several different types of coffee table materials available. These include metal, wood, glass, stone, etc. The most popular material currently is metal coffee tables because they are easy to take care of, easy to clean, and match tall glass tops’ palette. They are also very durable and affordable.
Glass coffee tables are another popular material. This is usually combined with a wooden base to create a modern look and is easy to take care of.
Some things need to be kept in mind when looking for coffee table dimensions. The average size of a coffee table usually is based on the type of seating you are using. The average height is about 18 inches, but it can change based on the sofa. The size should be a comfortable level for guests to reach the table and relax properly. The length is usually two-thirds of the length of the seating you are placing it in front of, and the space between the table and sofa is around 18 inches.
Tips for Getting a Good-sized Coffee Table
For finding a good coffee table, there are several things you must consider.
- It is essential to remember that not all coffee table dimensions are perfect for all living rooms. Each setup needs a different size, but you can do a few things to find a good average size coffee table.
- You must consider that the table should be approximate of the same size height as that of your sofa cushions. The length should be about two-thirds of the total sofa length, and the place around the coffee table should have at least 2 feet.
- The clearance is essential. You must measure the different size ranges that can be used and create a great living room space with the perfect size coffee table. You can choose from a higher or lower setting based on the living room’s wipe and the surrounding furniture m.
Finding a perfect coffee table can be very easy once you know the correct way to approach it. Get an ideal-sized coffee table for your home today.