When it comes to the differences between CBD Oil and Tinctures there is a lot of confusion. Some people think the two terms are interchangeable, but they are not, as they represent two different categories of CBD products. Others will tell you that any CBD product that is dispensed via dropper is a tincture, yet this too is misleading. So, what is the real difference between CBD oil and CBD tinctures?
The main difference between the two is what carrier they use to transmit CBD. Both use CBD that is extracted from naturally occurring cannabinoids that can be found in hemp and cannabis plants; however, CBD oil uses an inactive carrier such as MCT oil as its primary carrier. Tinctures in comparison use a secondary ingredient such as alcohol as their carrier. And while some think that any CBD product with a dropper is a tincture, this isn’t true either.
Now that we know a little bit more about what differentiates these two styles of CBD products, let’s take a look at a few of the benefits and considerations that each brings to the table.
CBD Oil is a foundational product for many CBD users. It is prized among the CBD community for its versatility and potency. CBD oil can come in a variety of strengths and flavors, meaning that there is almost certainly a CBD oil that is right for you. Below we will look at a few of the benefits and considerations that potential CBD oil purchasers should keep in mind.
Benefits of CBD Oil
- CBD oil is versatile: One of the clearest strengths that CBD oil holds is its total versatility to be mixed into a variety of food and drink, in addition, many CBD oil formulations can be effortlessly vaped. This makes CBD oil easy to incorporate into your regular routine with minimal added effort.
- Higher concentration of CBD: When compared to other CBD goods, CBD oil normally has a much larger concentration of cannabinoids. This generally makes CBD oil a stronger product, which can allow the beneficial effects of consistent CBD use to accrue faster and last longer. Of course, it should be noted that even at a higher concentration, CBD shouldn’t provide any psychoactive elements commonly associated with THC.
- Access to a wealth of health benefits: CBD oil is used to treat a wide variety of ailments both physical and mental. Besides being used to treat pain caused by soft-tissue injuries or arthritis, CBD is also often used to provide relief for anxiety, PTSD, and insomnia.
Things to Consider with CBD Oil
- Can cause side-effects: While adverse reactions are rare, they can occur, especially with users who are new to CBD and are unsure of their proper dosage. The most common adverse reactions include fatigue or an upset stomach. To combat these potential problems, it is always best to start with smaller doses than recommended (or usually taken) when trying a new CBD oil for the first time.
- May have an unpleasant taste: CBD oil comes in a wide range of flavors and trust us it doesn’t taste like berries, so you are almost guaranteed to find one that you enjoy. However, be careful with unflavored products, as many find the natural hemp flavoring of such oils overly earthy.
- Can be expensive: CBD oil can easily contain 1000s of milligrams of CBD per bottle, so while you get a lot of CBD for your money, this also means that CBD oil can be expensive when compared to other CBD merchandise.
CBD tinctures may seem like a novel way to dispense treatment. But, in reality, tinctures have been used in the medical field for years. Typically, a tincture is made by suspending whatever active ingredients will be used in a carrier liquid, normally (but not always) this is an alcohol base.
Benefits of CBD Tinctures
- Tinctures Provide Rapid Relief: When taken sublingually (under the tongue), tinctures can provide more direct and rapid relief, especially when compared to other CBD options such as capsules or gummies.
- Higher Rates of Absorption and Bioavailability: In addition to the speed of absorption, there are also thought to be higher rates of bioavailability for CBD tinctures. Bioavailability is the amount of a substance that can be taken in by the body. For CBD tinctures, this is mainly due in part to the use of alcohol as the carrier liquid, which is more readily absorbed by the body than oil.
- Long shelf life: Tinctures, when stored properly, can last almost indefinitely and still retain their effectiveness. The reason for this is that the alcohol that is present in a tincture is thought to work as a preservative that can help tinctures retain their viability for months after opening. To ensure this, be sure to store your tincture in a cool and dark place, out of any direct light in a no window bedroom that may cause its ingredients to degrade in quality.
Things to Consider with CBD Tinctures
- Can be harder to dose: Almost all tinctures will be dispensed via a dropper top. While this means you can conveniently disperse CBD with only the bottle on hand, it will still take most users time to master the use of the dropper for the proper dosage.
- May contain alcohol: Depending on how your tincture has been formulated, it may use alcohol as its main CBD carrier. Because of this, those that want to avoid alcohol in their CBD may want to look at other options. Good options for such situations are tinctures that are suspended in peppermint oil or glycerin as opposed to alcohol.
- Uses additives and sweeteners: As mentioned above, most CBD tinctures will use alcohol as a primary ingredient. Due to this many tinctures use extra additives and sweeteners to try to cover up any harsh alcohol flavors.Some tinctures may also contain different times of THC such as Delta-10 THC which can help aid in pain management and other ailments.
We’re Always Here to Help!
And there you have it, almost anything you might need to know about the potential benefits and differences between CBD oil and CBD tinctures. In general, CBD oil is more versatile and potent while CBD tinctures are more quickly and thoroughly absorbed. We hope you agree that both can be excellent choices for incorporation into your own CBD routine.
Do you still have questions about anything we’ve discussed above? Please don’t hesitate to reach out! You can also head to Detroit dispensary or a local CBD dispensary near you and get a professional budtenders opinion. We hope you’ve learned something new about the differences between CBD oil and CBD tinctures and that you’ve enjoyed yourself along the way, as always, thanks for reading!