Microwave ovens are very handy when it comes to reheating, defrosting, and similar applications. Until a few years back, microwaves were considered a luxury item. But nowadays, you find it almost in every house.
If you do not own one, you might be considering buying it. But so many models and types are available in the market that will leave you baffled. Whether to take a convection microwave oven? Or a solo microwave oven? What are convection microwaves? What are its uses? Are convection microwaves worth it? Your head might get puzzled between all these questions. Okay, okay, do not stress yourself so much.
Here, we will apprise you with some of the information regarding convection microwaves which will help you make the correct decision for yourself and your kitchen. You will find everything you need to know about convection microwaves and help you know whether convection microwaves are worth it or not.
What is a Convection Microwave?
So, let us start with what does a traditional microwave does. In a kitchen, a basic microwave has a wide range of functions. Cooked some extra food and want to have it later? Who likes chilled food? The microwave oven will reheat your food within minutes which will save you precious time in your busy schedule. They are also used for defrosting. From heating cosmetics to roasting peanuts, the microwave oven does its best.
Want some added functionality to your microwave oven? Want your microwave oven to do more than reheating and cook your food more evenly? Here, the convection microwave oven comes in the picture. A convection microwave oven not only heats and defrosts but bakes and cooks too!
Yes, you can bake delicious cookies within minutes with a convection microwave oven. Not only cookies but cakes too! Have some guests over and want to serve an evenly grilled yet crispy chicken which will leave them licking their fingers? The convection microwave oven will make your job easier.
So basically, a convection microwave is a fantastic combination of a microwave oven and a convection oven. It combines all the functions of both. So, there is still one question persisting. Are convection microwaves worth it? Do not worry. We are going towards that. Let us see the work first.
Working of a Convection Microwave Oven
A convection microwave oven combines the working of a microwave oven and a convection oven depending on the mode of our usage. Let us get a brief idea of the working of a microwave oven.
When we place food in the oven, some non-ionizing microwave radiations are produced in the oven and they dance here and there within the metal surface of the oven and they meet the food. These radiations are absorbed by the food and by the water molecules inside them. These molecules start vibrating, and heat is produced within the food materials due to the production of friction. The more the water molecules, the more quickly the food gets cooked up.
In the convection part of the oven, the working is a bit different. It consists of two fans one in the anterior part and the other one in the posterior part within the oven. These fans are placed along with the heating plates. When we turn the switch on, these fans circulate hot air which meets the food particles, cooking each one of them evenly.
Its superpower is the combination mode of the convection microwave oven. Microwaves will cook the food quickly and convection fans will cook it more evenly and crispier.
So, depending upon the function, it works differently in different conditions. Yes, we are moving closer toward- ‘are convection microwaves worth it?’
Benefits of a Convection Microwave Oven
- A convection microwave oven effectively combines both the features of a microwave and a convection oven.
- Cooking in a convection microwave oven is very convenient. You do not need any extra skills to use it.
- You can reheat and defrost food very easily.
- At the same time, you can bake a pizza, make your pizza base crispier, and melt the cheese over it, and that too in the same oven. Convection microwaves can roast, grill, bake and cook at the same time.
- Along with easy handling, the food gets cooked evenly. Thanks to the interior fans that makes the outer surface of the food evenly cooked and crispy.
- It saves most of your precious time with its quick cooking at high temperatures.
- Convection microwaves have a wide range of temperature adjustments with the highest one exceeding up to 450 degrees. In convection microwaves, you can adjust the temperatures and set them up on the ones you want your food to be cooked on that too within a click.
- The texture of the food is far better than a basic microwave oven. Thanks to the combination of microwaves and convection fans.
- With convection microwaves, you get the added functionality of preheating which the traditional microwaves lack. Thus, it cooks food faster, saving lots of electricity.
- Their compact size can fit into any kitchen and in any corner. They are smaller than the basic convection ovens and they function the same.
- At the same time, they are large enough to fit a chicken or a large-sized pizza.
- Due to their compact size, you can transport them easily anywhere while you are off for holidays.
- Convection microwave ovens are cheaper than traditional ovens. Besides, they take a very little amount of electricity even after much use. Convention microwaves are very efficient when it comes to saving money as well as electricity.
Cons of the Convection Microwave Oven
- After baking, if some of the particles are left inside and not cleaned, they get baked along with the food in the next use. If not removed on time, they keep getting darker and darker and are very tough to remove then.
- The inner walls get greasy while baking oily and fatty foods. They need to be cleaned immediately, or else they leave tough stains.
- Cleaning must be done periodically.
- The inner capacity of the convection microwave oven is smaller as compared to the convection oven. This is the major drawback of convection microwaves.
- Convection microwaves are quite affordable, but they are somewhat expensive than basic microwaves. But the added functionality evens the extra price.
- Cleaning them can be difficult due to the inner part being made up of steel.
- Still, thinking whether the convection microwaves are worth it or not? Okay, we will let you know some more to help you out.
How Is A Convection Microwave Oven Used?
There are some basic steps to use a convection microwave oven with some additional dos and don’ts which ensures longer durability.
- While using the convection setting, the first thing to keep in mind is that you should always use the shelf that comes along with it so that your food is provided with a proper flow of air around it.
- The second thing is that you must drop off the temperature by 20 to 25 degrees than the temperature which is been recommended.
- If you place more quantity of food than the capacity of the oven, the food may remain raw, leaving you disappointed. Also, it leaves those greasy stains that you find difficult to clean. You would want to place the food in the appropriate quantity to ensure that the food is evenly cooked.
- Just before you bake or roast anything, make sure that you preheat the oven for about 5 to 10 minutes. Preheating is recommended before cooking anything.
- While picking the cookware set for your convection microwave oven, choose the utensils which are suitable for the oven. Some convection microwaves can work with metals too. You can go with ‘Pyrex’ or any other oven-safe glass which is resistant to heat. Do not use plastic, wood, or paper in your oven. It can cause major damage to your convection microwave.
So, let us See How Should We Use A Convection Oven
First, you need to set your convection set to the mode you would like to use as a grill, bake, roast, or simply heat. Then, select the desired temperature and set up the timer. Initially, you need to set it to your setting for preheating purposes. Then arrange the settings according to the food to be placed inside, in a similar manner. This will cook the food in an even way. And done! You are ready with your mouth-melting treats!
Finally arrives the answer to the actual matter, that is- ‘are convection microwaves worth it?’
Are Convection Microwaves Worth It?
The worth of the convection microwave ovens differs greatly according to the situation of the user. If you are a bachelor living in a rented apartment, then convection microwaves are worth it.
If you are a fan of baking and cooking but do not want to buy a full-sized convection oven, then this tiny box is for you. Do not go on its size, it can do wonders. You can cook a wide range of dishes within this compact box. If you love baking sugary treats, you should not think about whether the convection microwaves are worth it or not. Just get one for you. You will not regret sure.
Another great thing that makes the convection microwaves worth it is their affordability for great functionality. It offers far more features for fewer prices.
If you have a passion for traveling and want to get off for a weekend to your farmhouse, taking a convection microwave along with you will make your cooking job super easy. For traveling purposes, convectional microwaves are totally worth it.
If you want to bake some delicious cookies and cakes but do not own a microwave or want to replace the one you already have, then you should go for a convection microwave oven. Convection microwaves are totally worth your every penny if you would want a microwave that does much more than a traditional microwave oven.
If you regularly have guests at your place and you often must cook a large feast, then a convection microwave is worth it. It acts as an extra hand for you, making your job super easy. And you can multitask at the same time with your regular stove and this convection microwave.
But at the same time, if you do not cook often or are not much interested in baking and other stuff, then you can totally manage without it. Or if you already own a convection oven, you do not need an extra one, right?
So, the bottom line is that convection microwaves are worth it for the people who genuinely need them. Or else the people who do not prefer much baking can totally deal without it. It can do wonders in your kitchen but at the same time has some disadvantages that you would need to overcome. Convection microwave oven is a versatile appliance with compact size, easy and quick cooking, and offers a wide range of uses.
We hope this article helped you make the right decision for your kitchen. Happy baking people!